WHAT IS MAY THEY BE ONE?
WHY UNDERTAKE SUCH A CAMPAIGN?
WHO IS BEHIND MAY THEY BE ONE?
The Episcopal Commsision for the Biblical Apostolate (ECBA) of the catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) is spearheading the campaign in partnership with the Philippine Bible Society (PBS) and other churches.
May They Be One is inspired by the world Synod of Bishops in Rome on Octobers 5-26 this year which has as its theme, "The Word of God in the Life and Mission of the Church." Archbishop angel Lagdameo, President of CBCP and Walter Cardinal Kasper, President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity wrote letters of endorsement for the campaign.
HOW WILL THE CAMPAIGN WORK?
The May They Be One Campaign aims to raise sufficient funds within the Philippines and overseas, to enable at least 5 million Bibles to be printed and sold at the subsidized price of P50 each. Ful production cost of a Bible is P100. About 20% of all bibles to be printed will be given away for free at the discretion of affliated local parish priest or pastor.
WHEN DOES THE CAMPAIGN BEGIN?
May They Be One will be launched with a Concelebrated Mass at the Manila Cathedral on Sept. 30, 2008. It will be an ecumenical service to seel God's blessing on the Campaign and a send-off for the four Bishops, led by PBS President Bishop Bastes, who are attending the Synod in Rome. A special May They Be One Bible will be dedicated during the service where representatives from various sectors will be invited.
HOW CAN I BE PART OF THIS BIBLE CAMPAIGN?
You can become a Friend of the Bible Society and help put a Bible in every home in the Philippines.
As a Friend of the Bible Society, you will be asked to do 3 things:
- Pray for once a week in church or at home for those who are involved in translation and distribution of God's Word.
- Agree to tell friends and family about the work of ECBA and Philippine Bible Society.
- Give a minimum donation of P250 each year towards the cost of putting a Bible into home of fellow Filipinos.
In return for being a Friend, we will do 3 things for you:
- Pray for you at our special weekly prayer and devotion times.
- Agree to keep you regularly informed on the progress of this task.
- Present you with a special certificate to recognize your support.