Tuesday, June 2, 2009

THREE MINUTES A DAY - June 2, 2009

Travel with a Mission

If you have enough time, money and motivation, you might be interested in volunteering on your next vacation.

AARP Magazine notes an increase in the “older Americans who have the passion, adventurous spirit, and life experience to empower indigent communities, and the money to travel to often far-flung places,” Judith Reitman writes.

She volunteers at a Romanian orphanage two weeks a year through Global Volunteers. The work is difficult, but it’s also rewarding.

One volunteer said, “I feel joyous. I’m part of a continuum of care, a human chain of interaction, touching, caring, and playing. Just think what it would be like if the volunteers were not there.”

Another says, “People go because they know they make a difference.” She adds, “I thought I was going for the children, but I found out I went for me.”

God appreciates our gifts of hope and help.

It is well with those who deal generously. (Psalm 112:5)

Jesus, help us offer our time, talents and hearts to our needy sisters and brothers.