Monday, May 25, 2009

THREE MINUTES A DAY - May 25, 2009

I Would Have...

After the humorist Erma Bombeck learned she was terminally ill, she wrote an essay called “If I Had My Life to Live Over.” Each line began, “I would have . . .”

  • gone to bed when I was sick;
  • talked less and listened more;
  • invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded;
  • taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth;
  • shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband;
  • cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life;
  • never said, ‘Later;’
  • said more ‘I love you’s’ and more “I’m sorry’s.”

Life is short. Life’s moments are precious. Seize every one. Live every moment.

The Lord created human beings out of earth, and makes them return to it again. He gave them a fixed number of days ... filled them with knowledge and understanding. (Sirach 17:1-2,7)

Remind me, Holy Spirit, to live every moment joyfully, fully, completely.